Tuesday 12 April 2016

Solo Acoustic Magic gig review

Sunday April 19th saw me back at The Waterford Arms in Seaton Sluice for a solo gig with Acoustic Magic. The last time I was scheduled to play here the place had an unfortunate incident with a fire breaking out in the kitchen, resulting in the gig being cancelled! Thankfully this time as we rolled up to the venue on a bright sabbath evening, there was no signs of fire engines or burnt toast in sight! Good omens.

Upon entering the establishment and a quick hello to Mel, I was chuffed to see Mr Derek Allen! Long time no see. Derek and I go back a long way, to the days of our early bands, my Junkster to his Clear Blue Skies. He is the founder member of Acoustic Magic and a successful singer songwriter in touring recording duo We Steal Flyers, with Jason Vare (Shaggy). So it was cool to catch up and it was also the first time he would see my solo set. So after we chewed the fat for a bit, before I knew it was time for a quick soundcheck and I was away, kicking the event into action! There was a nice busy little crowd gathering in the live room, as I breezed into set opener THE BALLAD OF THE DISENCHANTED to generous applause. With a limited time of 30 minutes I was really finding my stride when suddenly it was time for my OLD PUNKS NEVER DIE climax. Complete with AUF WEIDERSEHEN / LIKELY LADS finale it was a great ending to a cracking set brilliantly received by a top crowd. Happy Sunday's!

Next up was J Page a young lad I'd never come across before. Playing a mix of covers and originals I was well impressed, along with the rest of the gang. With some cool trigger board effects going on complete with headphones, this boy could really play. A memorable original song about his first girlfriend and now ex wife, stood out for me and suggests J can go from strength to strength. 

Finishing the night off in style was Acoustic Magic regular and prolific live performer Sam Gibson. Playing covers from the likes of The Killers to Bruce Springsteen as well as tunes from his ever increasing back catalogue of old and new material. Sam ended the night with my favourite song of his WANNABE CHAMPION a rousing uptempo foot tapping top track! A fitting end to a brilliant night for me personally and all involved. Big thanks to Mel and Derek, J and Sam, and to everyone who came down to support this and help making it a successful event. You know who you are! 

Thanks for reading.
Cheerz 
Peesh X

No comments:

Post a Comment