Monday 22 August 2016

Tyne Idols Punk Tour Bus Solo gig 18/08/16

Thursday August 18th saw me on The Tyne Idols Punk Tour Bus, the brain child of Radio Northumberland's very own Keith Newman. I was asked a few weeks ago by Keith if I was interested in performing for this at a special secret location, and I jumped at the chance. The location of course being the legendary Newcastle City Hall. This was gonna be something else. As we dodged some busy early evening traffic and some nifty driving by Jill Bee, Clemmy and I strolled up to the bus with minutes to spare for the scheduled 7pm start. We were warmly greeted by Mr Newman himself and a friendly older gentleman enquiring as to whether I was 'the turn' for the evening? As I laughed and said yes and that I was nervously excited about performing at the City Hall, he reassured me it would be great and that he'd played there 100 times haha! The senior chap was actually Lindisfarne drummer Ray Laidlaw. Top bloke. 

So we boarded the bus and hit the top deck. I recognised a few friendly faces, as hands were shook and beer tins were clanked, we were off! With Keith at the helm, and trustee sidekicks Ramona Lisa and Punky Paul in tow, organised chaos was assured :) Winding in and out of the streets and old punk haunts of Newcastle, the bus snaked it's way through the city's historical underground musical past. MC Newman was on top form, telling very informative interesting and amusing tales as Punky Paul provided the sonic backdrop with class tunes including local heroes Penetration and the Angelic Upstarts. Also on hand was punk historian John Esplen who told some brilliant sex drugs and pure rock n roll tales involving The Clash and The Dickies, to name but a few. This was all too much fun as we rolled up to old LoGOz haunt The Black Bull in Gateshead for more alcoholic refreshments! It was cool to reconnect with Shev and Maz as we quaffed our beers and headed back onto the bus. Next stop City Hall.

As we made our way into the legendary venue Clemmy also reconnected with an old mate and City Hall top house roadie Dave Newbold who was more than helpful as we made our way to the main stage. It was so cool being in the impressive empty hall imagining all the icons who had graced this famous place over the last 50 years! Ray Laidlaw was conducting an informal talk to the joy of the tour bus massive as Clemmy and me had a quick peep at the dressing/green room area. To think some of the debauched shenanigans that have taken place in those spaces haha! But hey, I had more important things on my mind! After a swift soundcheck  at last I was standing on the main stage Newcastle City Hall as the happy punks and punkettes took their places on the stage seating area. After a brief big up intro from Keith it was my time to shine. 



Kicking off with a brand new  song 'IDOLS' was a brave move, but one which paid off as it went down brilliantly and the enthusiastic reaction only helped ease my adrenaline fuelled nerves. Next up as homage to my first ever City Hall gig I played STAND AND DELIVER by Adam and the Ants, and thanks to Bev and Marcia for impromptu added extra 'hand drums' :) I finished my short set with 'OLD PUNKS NEVER DIE' complete with 'THATS LIVING ALRIGHT / LIKELY LADS Theme' outtro. With the applause and cheers ringing in my ears this was a special performance I wont ever forget. After a few quick photos we then quickly headed back onto the bus for the final part of the Tour. 


As the evening turned to night we drank and sang along to the likes of 'ALTERNATIVE ULSTER' (Bucket of Lobsters) and Toy Dolls fun punk classic 'NELLIE THE ELEPHANT'. As the bus applied the breaks for the final stop it was time to say our goodbyes. New firm friends and fans were made tonight as well as old ones rejoining the party! This was one memorable evening that will stick long in my mind. Big thanks to Keith, Lisa and Paul as well as Julie at Tyne Idols. Also cheers to everyone who attended the punk tour and helped make it a night I'll remember forever. There also a cool video of my performance on YouTube check it out here 


Also just to let you know the aforementioned 'IDOLS' is the title track of my brand new Solo 5 Track EP. The track listing is:

1. IDOLS
2. OLD PUNKS NEVER DIE (Electric)
3. AUF WIEDERSEHEN LADS
4. ANT MASH UP
5. OLD PUNKS NEVER DIE (Acoustic)

You can buy this from our website www.logozworld.com/shop and will also be available at upcoming gigs! Speaking of which we/I have two gigs coming up this weekend. On Friday August 26th LoGOz will be playing at The Ox and Plough in Washington. I will be kicking the evening off with an acoustic solo set at 9pm and it's FREE Entry. Then on Saturday the 27th of August we will be at the Fox Cover in Ashington. Again it's FREE Entry and  I'll be opening up the night at 9pm with another solo set! It's gonna be a busy weekend of sonic activity so come and join us for some bank holiday punk rock fun lads and lasses!!!




Thanks for reading! 

Cheerz
Peesh X

No comments:

Post a Comment