Monday 13 June 2016

Washington + Blyth Solo Acoustic Reviews - 12/06/16

Sunday June 12th and I was yet again on the solo trail with a double whammy of gigs! Kicking off at The Stella in Washington we arrived 10 minutes before stage time of 17:20pm as some roadworks and sabbath traffic near the Metro Centre threatened to halt proceedings. But the new LoGOz mobile came up trumps and Jill Bee got us there with minutes to spare. This was another Acoustic Magic all dayer which are always great events and a pleasure to play. We were greeted with the usual warmth and big smiles we've come to expect from Melanie and Derek Allan. I was assured there was no rush and to take it easy and get myself a drink and warmed up before show time. Nice. So just after 17:30pm it was time to do my thang! A friendly respectful crowd were already in the bar as I eased into the first song of my set THE BALLAD OF THE DISENCHANTED. These all day events are often a cool laid back affairs and that's fine by me and a healthy contrast to the usual frantic ferocity of LoGOz gigs. I thought this could be a good opportunity to play some AcoustiCalendar songs I've been rehearsing lately and itching to make its Live debut. So, step forward WONDER YEARS Track 30 of the project, which got its premier airing today. It went down really well too and I have a feeling it could be a regular main stay in future sets. Playing just under 30 minutes the gig flew over and I was more than warmed up for my next slot back in the familiar surroundings of The Tavern in Blyth. As we chatted with Derek, Mel and Acoustic Magic regular Tinny Bennett afterwards we could've stayed all night but hey, I had another engagement to fulfil and time was not on our side! It was also a pleasure to meet Stefanie Horat who had travelled over from Switzerland to see Derek perform in We Steal Flyers this weekend. She really dug my set too. Cool. 

Back in the LoGOz mobile and Clemmy, Jill and me were really wishing we were in Marty Mcflys Delorean as the hourglass was now running out of sand!

We pulled up at The Tavern in Blyth just before 19:00pm to again be reassured, this time by stand in sound man Dan that there was no rush! Phew. A quick soundcheck on the spankin stage and for the second time today I was ready to roll! A quick drink and chat outside with manager Clemmy reflecting  on things  so far  helped calm the adrenalin,  as a
few familiar faces passed us on the way in. Sweet. Round two. As the lights went down and stage lights came on this was one cool solo gig. Nervous excitement was evident as the banter flowed between songs with the crowd joining in whenever necessary, or even unnecessary for that matter haha! The sound was loud and clear, yet still had a bite that only added to the occasion! With the crowd being made up of largely hardcore LoGOz devotees this kinda triggered a little more punk edge to my delivery compared to the more relaxed atmosphere of The Stella in Washington. Again the contrast in the two gigs only helps my confidence and adds to the experience and variety in this acoustic world, where I still feel like a new player to the game! Another AcoustiCalendar song made its debut tonight with HEROES OF THE DAY making its first appearance. I finished the set with OLD PUNKS NEVER DIE before a 12:OTHERS cover onslaught with snippets of THATS LIVING ALRIGHT, THE LIKELY LADS, STAND & DELIVER, I COULD BE SO GOOD FOR YOU and finally climaxing with RISE! At the end of the day a very successful satisfying personal triumphant Sunday's work with two great gigs nailed in the bag. 


Big thanks again to Derek and Mel from Acoustic Magic and The Stella folk of Washington. Cheers also to Vince Race and to Dan for a great sound and everyone at The Tavern. Last but not least, big up to all the people who turned up to support these two gigs. You know who you are. Much appreciated. 

Thanks for reading
Cheerz
Peesh X

No comments:

Post a Comment